The season of Easter culminates in the feast of Pentecost which takes place on the 50th day after Easter Sunday. This year it is celebrated on May 20. It remembers the coming of God's Holy Spirit upon the first Christians after the risen Jesus ascended to God the Father. Jesus had promised that he would send a helper to bring power to his followers to equip them for ministry. The story of how that helper came is told in the Acts of the Apostles (2: 1-21). The Spirit of God manifested itself as fire,wind and the ability to speak in foreign languages. Those first followers of Jesus were enabled to speak and spread the word of God's love and Jesus' resurrection to people who were in the city from all over the world. Many began to follow Jesus on that day. This is why Pentecost is often called "the birthday of the church." We believe that this same Holy Spirit comes to us in baptism and helps us in our various ministries in the church and the world. Christians around the world celebrate Pentecost with songs and prayers praising God's Holy Spirit. It is a colourful feast, with the flame colours of red, orange and yellow in clothing, banners, balloons, candles, kites and anything else that is moved by the wind.
Almighty and everliving God, who fulfilled the promises of Easter by sending us your Holy Spirit and opening to every race and nation the way of life eternal, keep us in the unity of your Spirit, that every tongue may tell of your glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen
Godly Play teaches children the art of using Christian language – parable, sacred story, silence and liturgical action – helping them become more fully aware of the mystery of God’s presence in their lives. It’s about understanding how each of the stories of God’s people connects with the child’s own experience and relationship with God. Godly Play respects the innate spirituality of children and encourages curiosity and imagination in experiencing the mystery and joy of God.
Under the leadership of our Music Minister(s) Diane MacLeod and Lester Settle, our Choir is a dedicated and talented group of singers. The choir participates during our 10am service on Sundays as well as special services throughout the year.
Terrace Hill Cemetery, is located on Kaulbach St. in Truro, and is the parish cemetery of St. John's Anglican Parish. It was established in 1873 with an initial purchase of a parcel of land and enlarged in the early 1900s with a second donation of land. Many stones from the original church cemetery located around the church building on Church St. were transferred to Terrace Hill, but most graves are from the 20th century. The cemetery also contains a number of military graves from the first and second World Wars tended by the Commonwealth Graves Commission.
For information about the current operation of Terrace Hill Cemetery, follow the link below.
St. John’s is a community of faith; disciples of Jesus Christ walking in the Anglican tradition. We are a parish within the Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Nationally we belong to the Anglican Church of Canada and internationally to the worldwide Anglican Communion. The Anglican way traces its roots to the ancient and undivided Church of the apostles of Jesus and to the first missionary journeys sent to the British Isles as early as the 2 nd century of the Common Era. So our roots are deep and rich, shared with the Roman Catholic Church from which we came, with the Celtic Christianity that flourished for centuries in Britain, and because a separate Anglican identity was forged at the time of the Protestant Reformation, with our brothers and sisters in those churches as well. It has been said that Anglicans straddle the via media, the middle ground, between Roman Catholicism and the Protestant branches of the church. For more on what this historic, yet distinctly current branch of Christianity believes and lives, follow the links below.
The Parish of St. John the Evangelist was officially created in 1821. The current stone building which replaced the original wooden church of 1825, was built in 1881 and is now the oldest continuously used house of worship in Truro. Our history is as old as the community itself.